Sheila Perez-Colon, MD
Dr. Sheila Perez-Colon is a pediatric endocrinologist who is double board certified, in pediatric endocrinology and general pediatrics. She completed her biology degree at the University of Puerto Rico in Rio Piedras, PR. She earned her medical degree at the Autonomous University of Guadalajara (AUG) with completion of the program at New York Medical College in Valhalla, New York. She completed her pediatric residency at Maimonides Children’s Hospital in Brooklyn, New York, and her pediatric endocrinology fellowship in a combined program at Maimonides Children’s hospital and SUNY Downstate Medical Center in Brooklyn, New York.
Dr. Perez-Colon worked as an Assistant Professor in pediatrics at SUNY Downstate Medical Center for 5 years. During that time, she worked as a pediatric endocrinologist at SUNY Downstate Medical Center and Kings County Hospital in Brooklyn (KCH), New York, and served as the pediatric diabetes clinic director in KCH. After, she relocated to California where she worked as a pediatric endocrinologist at Kaiser Permanente.
She has vast experience in managing children and adolescents with diverse endocrinopathies. Dr. Perez-Colon’s areas of interest include disorders of puberty and growth, diabetes, thyroid, adrenal and bone as well as obesity and polycystic ovarian syndrome. Education is a fundamental part of her career; she was involved in teaching residents and fellows as well as students from SUNY Downstate Medical School and Saint George’s University. She has published in multiple peer-review journals and has presented her work in regional, national and international conferences. Her work has been awarded during society meetings. She has important recognitions during her medical career with awards and honors, some of which are listed here:
– Best Doctor Award, department of pediatrics, Kings County Hospital, Brooklyn, NY 2016,
– Best In-Patient Clinical Manager, pediatric residency, Maimonides Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY 2010,
– Best Third Year Resident, pediatric residency, Maimonides Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY 2010,
– The Sassine Rahi Award for Excellence in Neonatology, pediatric residency, Maimonides Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY 2010,
– Best First Year Resident, pediatric residency at Maimonides Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY 2007,
– Class Rank #1 at Medical School AUG 2006,
– Best Well Rounded Female Student at Medical School AUG 2004 and
– Cum laude graduate, Universidad de Puerto Rico 2002.